If you buy something through a link in our posts, we may get a small share of the sale.
When shopping for a couch, it’s size will affect various aspects of its functionality. For instance, it’s size determines how many people it will be able to accommodate, the process that will be involved when trying to move it and even how well it will fit into your home.
For this reason, it is important for you to have a good idea of the size of your current couch or a prospective couch that you might be looking to purchase.
Table Of Contents
How Big Is a Couch?
The average size of a couch ranges from 4 to 8 feet long and about 28-40 inches deep. These measurements will vary greatly depending on the type and design of the couch.
What Is the Standard Size for Different Types of Couches?
There is a wide variety of different couches available in the market including loveseats, 2-seater couches, 3-seater couches and other options. The main dimensions that are considered when measuring the size of it are the length, depth and height.
The seat depth (this is the area for sitting) and overall height is usually relatively constant among most couches while the length is what varies from one couch to another. Here is a table showing the dimensions and the standard sizes for different types of couches:
|Two seats (loveseat)||63 inches||38 inches||34 inches|
|3-seater||90 inches||38 inches||34 inches|
|4-seater||117 inches||38 inches||34 inches|
|5-seater||144 inches||38 inches||34 inches|
|6-seater||171 inches||38 inches||34 inches|
In terms of floor space, here is a table outlining the sizes of different types of couches:
|Couch Type||Floor Space|
|Recliner||15 cubic feet|
|Futon||30 cubic feet|
|Loveseat||32 cubic feet|
|3-seater||45 cubic feet|
|4-seater||50 cubic feet|
How to Measure the Correct Amount of Space for Your Couch
If you are shopping for a new couch, then it is important for you to compare the standard size of it to the amount of space that you have in your home. To undertake this task, it is advisable that you should follow these steps.
- Choose a location: First, you need to choose the spot where it will go. The most common placement area is against a wall. However, it is also possible for you to place your sofa right in the centre of a room depending on the style and mood that you would like to achieve.
- Tape the area: The next step is to use the standard measurements along with some masking tape and a tape measure to tape out a suitable area for the couch. You should leave out a 30-inch wide perimeter of walking space around the couch and there should also be at least 10 inches of space between furniture pieces if you intend to get more than one couch.
- Measure the area: After taping the area, you should accurately measure the length and width of the area you have taped out and write down these measurements. If you have a low ceiling, you should also take the measurements of the distance between the floor and the ceiling since this will determine the height of couch that will be able to fit in that particular space.
How to Make Your Couch Appear Larger
If you are working on a tight budget, then perhaps you might have opted to purchase a relatively small couch which seems out of place in your living room. Have no worries because there are some useful tricks you can use to make it look larger.
- Use matching pillows: Pillows are an easy way for you to make your couch look larger than it actually is. The secret is to select pillows with a matching fabric which will create the illusion of a larger surface area
- Add other furniture pieces around it: This is another easy way to make your couch look larger. By adding a table or lampstand on the side, this lengthens the field of view, thereby making it look larger.
- Use bright colors: A brighter coloured couch will often look larger owing to the way in which it reflects light. Hence, if you have a dark-coloured small couch, then you should consider getting it reupholstered in a brighter colour and you will definitely see a difference.
How Can You Move a Large Couch Into a Small Room?
The best option is to find a way to dismantle it by removing the legs or any other detachable portions before moving it.
How Many People Are Needed to Carry a Large Couch?
In most cases, at least 2 people will be required to move a large couch from one location to another, considering its weight. Experts advise that you should hire professional movers if you intend to move it over a long distance.
Couches are a staple piece of furniture which you will find in practically any living room. There are different sizes of couches which are specifically designed to serve various purposes.
Aside from knowing how much the furniture costs, be it leather or other materials, it is important to know the size of your couch so that you are aware of how to handle it and arrange it alongside other pieces of furniture in your home or office.
Brett E. is the Owner of BarterDesign.co. Brett comes from a long line of craftsman and foreman, and has been involved with the construction and renovation world ever since he was a boy while working for his families construction and remodeling company. After graduating with a a degree in Interior Design, Brett is the go to guy for any interior design or remodeling questions!