If you buy something through a link in our posts, we may get a small share of the sale.
Last Updated February 24th 2020: The shower is the most refreshing part of waking up in the morning! For many people it is incredibly hard to get out of the shower to get ready for work. I understand the feeling, there is nothing better than a warm shower on a cold winter morning! That is why I am providing you with a guide on the Best Shower Valve!
Table Of Contents
- Best Shower Valve 2020 Comparison Table
- Top 5 Best Shower Valves – Reviews and Comparisons:
- Factors in Choosing the Best Shower Valve
- Thermostatic Shower Valves vs. Pressure Balance Valves
- Which Type of Valve Should I Get?
- Overall, What Is The Best Shower Valve?
Best Shower Valve 2020 Comparison Table
However, to make this hypothetical dream shower work, you must have a working shower valve! And I have had my fair share of trouble with shower valves, by this I mean I have tried nearly every kind on the market. (My showers are very important to me..)
Shower valves are incredibly important for the total shower experience!
The shower valve is much more important than most people truly understand, ask your local plumber and they will talk your ear off with the importance of the shower valve! So without further ado, here is a Best Shower Valve Buying Guide!
Top 5 Best Shower Valves – Reviews and Comparisons:
I have tested every single one of these products first hand, and I would never recommend a product without personally using it myself, and I can promise you that these shower valves will change your shower for the better! Although you might have a great shower valve, you will also need the best shower faucet possible. If you are looking for some good suggestions of shower faucets take a look at low water pressure rainfall shower heads, metal shower heads, and shower heads with speakers!
So in this best shower valve buying guide, I will talk you through the best valves on the market in 2020. I will provide you an inside look at these valves and their prices, the dimensions, and the reliability of these pieces to provide you the consumer, with the most amount of information to make the most educated purchase possible!
Delta R10000-UNBXHF Shower Valve
The Delta R10000-UNBXHF Shower Valve is the most incredible rough-in shower valve on the market in 2020! Based on my comparison between cost, material, reliability, and usability. The Delta R10000 is the go to shower valve that I have turned to every time that my shower needs a repair!
This thing is unbelievable how easy it is to get set up and put together! I know a lot of people are probably worried about calling a plumber to get the rough-in shower valve put together, but you don’t have to worry about that! The Delta R10000 is one of the simplest shower valves to put together!
Delta has been around for many, many years. And you have probably heard of them before! This American home decoration appliance manufacturer has been known for their amazing customer service, their awesome delivery dates, their quick installation process, and more than anything their AMAZING products!
A good rule of thumb that I have had for many years now is, “you can’t go wrong with Delta”. I have been able to to use hundreds of different Delta products from shower valves, to entire plumbing systems, and I have never been disappointed with one of their products! (Obviously, I haven’t tried every single one of their products, so that is just a rule of thumb that I use!)
One of the best things about the Delta R10000-UNBXHF rough-in valve is how ridiculously reliable it is! It is so reliable, that I have a hard time believing it will ever break. I have used this same exact shower valve in multiple different showers for many years without any difficulties! I have definitely done my research and I have never seen anyone online complaining about it breaking, or malfunctioning after purchasing.
The Second main reason I love this shower valve, is the PRICE! This shower valve is one of the best priced shower valves of all time!
You can find these delta shower valves for less than any other shower valves, and to add on to that, it works better than nearly every other shower valve! For nearly HALF THE PRICE!
Pros Of The Delta R10000-UNBXHF Shower Valve:
- The price of this rough-in shower valve is simply unbeatable!
- Features optimal water temperature control features which allows you to get just the right water temperature for your needs! Whether you enjoy ice cold water temperature or boiling hot, this has it all!
- This shower valve is nearly unbreakable. I’ve owned one for years and I haven’t had any problems with it!
- Delta has amazing customer service and if you have any issues then they will be there to help!
Cons Of The Delta R10000-UNBXHF Shower Valve:
- The valve itself has never been known as the most pretty or aesthetically pleasing valve for some, however i have never worried about this, since most shower system set ups will have little to no view of the shower valve.
- The shower valve won’t match up with many of the European shower systems. I understand that the whole new craze is to buy these fancy French and Italian shower systems, but the problem with that is that many of the popular American shower valve brands will not work with these European brands due to the valve body being to large or small!
The Final Verdict of the Delta R10000-UNBXHF Shower Valve:
The Delta R10000-UNBXHF shower valve is one of the best shower valve on the market today. This valve is one of the cheapest prices shower valves on the market today, and when most people hear this they will probably assume that it is low quality and cheap. However, it is quite the contrary, this valve is incredibly reliable and solid.
I would recommend this valve to anyone that has an American made shower system that is in the market for a shower valve. If you have a fancy, European made model then I would suggest doing your research before purchasing this shower valve! I would rank this product as a 9/10
- Complete flexibility: Delta's MultiChoice Universal Valve gives you flexibility to upgrade your...
- Recommended use: Compatible to meet the needs for the most commonly used plumbing methods and should...
- Universal connection options: 1/2-inch universal inlets accept 1/2-inch copper, 1/2-inch iron pipe,...
The Delta R11000 Shower Valve Review:
Ah! I have been waiting a long time to write about the Delta R11000 shower valve, because I really do love this shower valve! I think it is definitely one of the best shower valve of 2020!
I have already gave a small background of Delta so for the sake of the customer I’m going to skip that part and go straight to the review!
I want to say that this may be the best shower valve on the market. Period. I really hate to make it that simple, but it truly is that simple! This is one of the highest end valves that you can purchase. This isn’t one of the cheapest shower valves, but it is one of the most quality shower valves that money can buy.
The Pros Of The Delta R11000:
- The Delta R11000 is probably the easiest shower valve to install! I have installed many, many shower valves in my time and this valve is one of the easiest valves that I have ever installed, very easy to install! You can take an average person who has never installed a shower valve, and in a short time they can have it all set up with no problem! That’s how easy it is!!
- Similar to the R10000 above, this has great control of water flow and water temperature. It gives you the ultimate control water temperature and also gives you the flexibility you might need with water flow. Because of this, it seems to work very well on a variety of different setups.
- Great price for the quality! This is one of the higher end shower valve that you can purchase, but it costs less than most of the mid-tier shower valves! One of the best priced shower valves!
- Reliability, Reliability, Reliability!! This shower valve is the most reliable shower valve on the market. It also helps that it is created and manufactured by Delta, who is a world renowned company that is known for their outstanding products, their customer service, and their product reliability. This shower valve will last you longer than nearly any other shower valve!
The Cons Of The Delta R11000:
- This isn’t the cheapest model. The Delta R11000 is considered the big brother of the Delta 10000 Shower Valve, which is considerably cheaper. So that means some people will decide to choose the cheaper model instead of the Delta R11000 shower valve. This makes some people wonder what the point of spending the extra money for the R11000 model instead of the cheaper 10000 model. But I promise you that you won’t regret spending the extra bucks for a better product!
- That is the only Con that I can think of with this product!!
Final Words About The Delta R11000 Shower Valve:
The Delta R11000 is an amazing product. It is as simple as that! I understand that it is a little more expensive than a couple other kinds of shower valves, but I guarantee you that it is worth it! This is one of the best shower valves 2020! That is all I can say! My final verdict rating is a 9.5/10.
- Forged brass body
- Can be tested with air (200 psi) or water (300 psi) using supplied test cap
- For use with 3 or 6 function diverter rough
Kohler K-304-KS-NA Shower Valve Review:
The Kohler K-304-KS-NA Shower Valve is one of the best shower valve that I have every used. I have just recently tried this shower valve for the first time ever, and let me just tell you this shower valve works!
Kohler is a world renowned brand that nearly everyone has heard of, and you know what that means. It means they must be doing something correctly! They have been around since 1873 which makes them one of the oldest home decoration manufacturing company in all of America.
Originally based in Kohler, Wisconsin, this manufacturing company is best known for their plumbing products, but have also found much success in all kinds of different home decoration and interior decoration products and services.
All of that may just seem like a quick overview of the company, but what I was really trying to show you was that Kohler has been around for ages, and they have figured out how to run their mega corporation perfectly. You will never be unsatisfied with a product! So without further ado, her is the Kohler K-304-KS-NA Shower Valve review and buyers guide!
Pros of the Kohler K-304-KS-NA Shower Valve:
- Kohler has been producing high quality shower valves and plumbing equipment for many years now, and one thing that has never changed is the reliability and how high quality these parts are! Kohler has been, and will continue to be a company that you can trust!
- The shower valve is capable of more than your average shower valve. This is one of the higher end shower valves, which makes it more high tech, so you are allowed more functionality than your average shower valve. (This valve is capable of presetting an optimal water temperature to eliminate scalding, as well as finding and maintaining the perfect shower water temperature for you!) Along with this, it does a better job at controlling water flow than some others I’ve used. I’ve seen the K-304-KS-NA work well on systems that I had issues with water flow using other valves, so if you’re having issues it could be your valve!
- The valve is incredibly easy to install. When I say it is easy to install, I mean it’s so easy anyone can figure it out in no time! Also, since Kohler is such a well known brand, if you are having an difficulties they have amazing customer service, as well as an almost unlimited amount of information on google as well as videos on YouTube that will help you figure everything out!
Cons Of The Kohler K-304-KS-NA Shower Valve:
- The first thing I want to mention is that it isn’t the cheapest shower valve on the market.. This shower valve will definitely be a little more expensive than a Delta model or other models. But it is also one of the higher end models on the market!
- The valve itself is much wider than other valves. I have had people report that the valve is too wide to install with the older plumbing and water systems of their home. And I have done my research and this should only be a problem on less-modern home. I would say any homes that haven’t had their bathroom redesigned within the past thirty or forty years should be careful before ordering this valve online.
- Kohler recommends that you use this valve with a Kohler shower head as well as with a Kohler hose for the optimal experience. And this does provide the customer with a nearly unmatched shower experience, as long as you are using an average or above shower head and hose this valve should perform perfectly fine for you!
- Valve trim is sold separately. You’ll need to purchase a valve trim to place this into your shower system, thankfully it is compatible with nearly any valve trim on the market currently.
The Final Verdict For The Kohler K-304-KS-NA Shower Valve:
The Kohler K-304-KS-NA shower valve is incredible. Whenever I get asked “What is The Best Shower Valve?” I always include the Kohler in the conversation.
I believe it is incredibly reliable and will nearly always perform perfectly in your shower, however the only thing that concerns me is the price point. It is considered a higher end model, and Kohler claims that it will last longer than your average shower valve, but the price will definitely scare some customers off. So in the end it is up to each customer to figure out if the added price is worth it for them.
But if you do decide to purchase this shower valve I know you will not be disappointed because this valve is definitely one of the best shower valve 2020! Final Ranking would be a 9/10
- Integrated screwdriver stops assist in repair, turn off water supply at the valve
- Mounting tabs located on rough-in for secure installation option
- Requires valve trim (sold-separately)
The Grohe 35015000 Shower Valve Review:
Ah! Time to for the Europeans top Shower Valve! Well not really, but the Grohe 35015000 shower valve is one of the best selling European plumbing pieces of all time, and it is a shower valve that is used by millions of people all over the world!
This is a shower valve that is used by Americans, Europeans, Asians, and everyone in between! And the reason that so many different people from all around the world use it is because of its reliability and usability! The Grohe 35015000 is one of the best shower valve. Period.
A Quick History of Grohe:
I usually don’t talk much about the corporations and manufactures themselves unless I believe t but since Grohe isn’t as well know as companies such as Kohler and Delta, I thought it would be helpful to give some background knowledge on the corporation! Check out our Grohe rain shower faucet review!
Grohe is a multi-billion dollar corporation that is a leader in water system manufacturing. This means they create manufacturer and sell anything from toilet water hoses, to shower heads and valves. They were founded in 1948, but didn’t move to the United States until 1975.
Grohe remains with their headquarters in Düsseldorf, Germany. And the reason I bring this up, as it may seem irrelevant, is that Grohe really is a worldwide powerhouse.
Many Americans are loyal Delta and Kohler fans because that is what they know, and they have seen those two companies in America for years. However, Grohe has risen as one of the biggest manufacturers in Europe and Asia and is much on its way to becoming the largest manufacturer in America as well.
I brought this up to reassure anyone who has never heard of Grohe before. I want these customers to give this company a fair shot without immediately throwing them out of the race, because I promise you that you will not be disappointed with their products. These products are used by millions of people worldwide and they have been the only home water system manufactures to be able to reach a worldwide customer base.
So without further ado, lets jump right into it!
Pros Of The Grohe 35015000 Shower Valve:
- This shower valve provides amazing water pressure! I have used this shower valve many times, and i have never been disappointed with the strong water pressure that it provides!
- The Grohe 35015000 is incredibly reliable. Just like nearly any product you buy from Delta or Kohler, Grohe will provide you with a product that you can trust. You know this product will perform just like it is provided!
- This valve is one of the most usable and functional shower valves of 2020! What I mean by this is that it can be paired with nearly any kind of water system, shower head, and water hosing due to the body valve being a standard size! This valve is used all around the world, so Grohe wanted to make sure that it is capable of working well with many different kinds of water systems without breaking! Along with this, you get a great control over the water temperature and water flow level using this valve compared to some others.
The Cons Of The Grohe 35015000 Shower Valve:
- There is less Grohe product information on the internet. What I mean by this is since Grohe is considered a newer company and is still building their reputation. It is difficult to find how-to videos and blog posts on their internet compared to a company such as Delta. For Delta their are many videos made by customers to help other customers with installation and maintenance. But since Grohe is still growing their is less of this information available, at least at the time being. I believe more information will be on the internet soon!
- Cartridges and other accessory pieces may be harder to find in stores. Many people in America shop for accessory water system pieces in stores such as Moen or Delta. However, since these are “competitors” of Grohe it may be difficult to find certain Grohe pieces in these stores in America. I read an article that confirmed that more Grohe superstores are coming to America, so hopefully this won’t be a huge issue. (Also Amazon is your best friend!)
- The price can be a factor for many people. And although the Grohe 35015000 is definitely not the most expensive shower valve on the market, it is still a little bit more expensive for some, but it’s not a huge difference.
The Final Thoughts For The Grohe 35015000 Shower Valve:
The Grohe is an amazing shower valve, and I can definitely see why many people consider it the greatest European Shower Valve. So I believe for many people this will be an amazing product for them, but I can understand that some Americans will be hesitant to purchase this when they can pick up a Delta or Kohler shower valve at their local hardware store, and that is very understandable. But I personally believe that in a couple years, Grohe will be a power house in the American market just like they are all around the world!
I will give this product a 8/10.
- Grohe SilkMove for a lifetime of smooth operation
- Handle limit stop
- Diaphragm cartridge
The Moen 2510 Shower Valve Review:
The final shower valve on my shower valve buying guide is The Moen 2510 Shower Valve! This valve is an incredible product and I have never seen anything bad come from buying and using this shower valve! This is an incredibly reliable American Faucet brand!
Moen has been providing the world with incredible products for many years, and I have always found Moen to be incredibly trustworthy!
Moen is an American faucet and plumbing manufacturer that was founded in 1956 by inventor Alfred M. Moen. And Mr. Moen has always wanted to provide his customers with quality and trustworthy products! So lets jump right into The Moen 2510 Shower Valve Review!!
The Pros Of The Moen 2510 Shower Valve:
- This shower valve flat out works! Many shower valves will claim that they are able to work with nearly any type and kind of shower faucet and hose and other pieces due to the valve body being a pretty standard size. But Moen is one of the only companies that manufacturers there products in order to work in nearly any situation! This shower valve will work not matter what other pieces you have! With this, you’re given the ability to use it with nearly any water flow level and still have optimal control over water temperature.
- Moen is one of the most trustworthy companies that you can purchase your products from! Moen has been providing the world with some of the highest quality products since its foundation in the 1956.
The Cons Of The Moen 2510 Shower Valve:
- Although this shower valve works with nearly all different kinds of pieces and other companies, this shower valve has proved to be difficult to install by many people. I have had many people contact me in order to receive help installing this valve. My recommendation is that if you don’t have much shower valve installation experience. Then I would recommend paying a local plumber to install this shower valve for you.
- Not the best instruction manual. The instructions that are provided by Moen are not the most clear instructions. I have seen many people complaining about how difficult the instructions are to follow. Which makes it even more difficult to install, as well as very difficult to maintain with the poor instructions.
The Final Verdict Of The Moen 2510 Shower Valve:
The Moen 2510 Shower Valve is a very good shower valve, and it is created by a quality and trustworthy brand with Moen. However, the installation difficulties makes it difficult for some customers to think about purchasing this shower valve. Especially with all the other higher quality shower valves for a cheaper price.
But if you do purchase this shower valve and get it installed, I promise you that you will not be disappointed! I know this is one of the best shower valve. I will give this product a rating of a 8/10.
- TEMPERATURE CONTROL: Posi-Temp valve helps maintain water temperature
- LONGSTANDING FLEXIBILITY: Built on the Moen M-PACT common valve system, allowing you to update the...
- CONNECTION SIZE: 1/2-inch IPS connections
Factors in Choosing the Best Shower Valve
The morning shower is one of my favorite parts of the day, it is utterly relaxing to step into the shower in a groggy state and then step out clean and sparkly!
I have always been an avid shower freak, and I like to think that it is a good thing! I have tried hundreds of different showers, from French based designs to American made shower heads, and I truly believe that I only know so much about showers because I have had so many problems with my showers at home. I have had broken shower heads, and leaky pipes, but what seems to happen more often than anything else is having a faulty shower valve.
The shower valve may not seem like the most important piece of a shower, but i guarantee you that once you try one of the better shower valves, then you will never look at a shower the same! Along with this, if you are looking to have a fully functioning shower (everyone raise your hand) then you need to make sure your shower pan is up to standards.
Thermostatic Shower Valves vs. Pressure Balance Valves
When you hear the terms thermostatic shower valve and pressure balance it might sound like straight up gibberish, but these are two terms that you’ll need to understand! So, what are they, what’s the difference, and which should I use?
Pressure Balance Valves:
Pressure balance valves are based strictly on the water flow with the use of water pressure and flow rate to help control your shower. This features just one handle to control both temperature and water flow or flow rate called single control. These are the valves that if you’re taking a shower and someone flushes the toilet you’ll get a drastic change in temperature.
Thermostatic Shower Valves:
This valve react to temperature rather than the pressure of the water. A thermostatic shower valve features two handles, one controls the water flow and flow rate volume and the other controls the water temperature. This sometimes is referred to a mixing valve.
This means that you can change the water flow level without affecting the temperature. This is optimal because it means it’s a bit safer because if the temperature exceeds a certain temperature then the valve expands to allow in more cold water which prevents scalding. A mixing valve is definitely good for children because when the water supply comes from the water heater it can technically get as hot as the water heater will allow it (scalding), but these mixing valves will limit that temperature to a safe level.
Which Type of Valve Should I Get?
Both of these valves have pros and cons and really are optimal for certain types of situations. I would recommend the thermostatic if you are somewhere with children or seniors because it does a great job at preventing too high of water temperature by adding more cold water when the temperature hits too high of a level and prevents scalding. Along with this, I recommend these if you live somewhere with frequent changes in water flow, because the thermostatic will do a better job at managing this compared to single controls.
That being said, I recommend the pressure balance if you are living in a home or apartment with only a handful of people. Generally pressure balance valves are cheaper as well, so that’s a definite benefit.
Overall, What Is The Best Shower Valve?
There are many very quality shower valves out their, and it is incredibly difficult to figure out the best shower valve. But that really comes down to the shower setup that is currently in your home, and as well as personal preference! You really want a piece that will give you optimal control over your water temperature and works efficiently with your water flow.
Look through my shower valve guide, I know it will help you pick your next piece for your home! I hope you find the best shower valve for your home! I hope you’ve found something helpful within these shower valve reviews!
Brett E. is the Owner of BarterDesign.co. Brett comes from a long line of craftsman and foreman, and has been involved with the construction and renovation world ever since he was a boy while working for his families construction and remodeling company. After graduating with a a degree in Interior Design, Brett is the go to guy for any interior design or remodeling questions!